Friday, July 21, 2006

Goin' Out To Cally – Part 54, And Then They Got Him

As the gas gauge quickly approached Empty, my heart began to quicken and my palms began to sweat. I was now struggling fiercely with intense sleep deprivation and had slowly veered from one side of the road to the other on various occasions.

I was left with no other choice.

“Sunday!” I intensely whispered.

She remained motionless, comfortably asleep.

“Sunday!” I said louder as she slowly stirred awake.

“What?” she asked, still more in dreamland than reality.

“I need to talk to you! I need you to help me stay awake!” I said urgently.

“Okay…” she fumbled. “What… what do you want to talk about?” she asked, her eyes still closed.

“I don’t care. Anything!” I exclaimed.

“Okay…” she said as she drifted back to sleep.

“Sunday! Sunday! Talk to me… tell me, what’s you favorite movie?” I asked desperately.

“What’s my favorite…” her voice drifted off.

“Movie!” I said. “What’s your favorite movie?”

“My favorite movie?” She repeated.

“Yes, what’s you favorite movie?” I asked again.

“My favorite movie? What’s my favorite movie?” she again replied.

“Yes!” I said, getting frustrated. I spoke a little louder and more slowly so she could grasp my question through the haze of exhaustion. “What-is-your-favorite-movie!”

“It’s… it’s….” she faltered.

I finally leaned over to her and with a very clear voice said “Sunday, if you don’t talk to me right now we’re going to die!”

Sunday bolted up. “What?” she asked, suddenly aware. “My favorite movie? What’s my favorite movie?” she asked quickly. “I… I don’t know.”

I rolled my eyes and tried another question. “Okay, then what was the last movie you’ve seen?”

“The last movie… oh! I don't remember the title, but iIt was about those kids who get stuck in the mall,” she responded.

“Can you elaborate?” I prodded.

“Yeah, it’s about these four kids who skip school and they do to hang out in the mall. You know, one’s the jock and he’s with his girlfriend and then there’s the jock’s friend and the girlfriend’s nerdy brother.”

“I haven’t seen that one. What happens?” I asked.

“Well, they sneak into the back halls of the mall, fooling around, spying on girls, shoplifting and stuff when, before they know it, they find themselves locked into the mall overnight,” she explained.

“That’d be cool.” I said.

“Noooo!” she said cautiously, “See there’s this guy, this freak who’s stuck in the mall with them. And they're trapped. They can't get out! They have nowhere to go! And this maniac, he follows them and hunts them and scares them and tries to attack them and…”

Her words hung in the air like a feather floating on unseen winds.

“And?” I pleaded.

She shrugged and said simply, “And then they got him.”

“And then they got him? That’s it?” I asked, confused.

“Yeah,” she stated. “Then they got him.”

I laughed to myself, partly because of Sunday’s retelling, but also because I was slap happy with exhaustion.

"Okay," I chuckled. "And then they got him."

I looked to the road and swerved sharply in a panic.

“Why’d you do that!” Sunday yelled.

“You didn’t see… something… in the road?” I stumbled as I tried to visualize what I had just seen... or thought I saw.

“No. There wasn’t anything in the road,” Sunday said with concern.

“Boy, I hope we reach the next town soon!” I said.

As I looked down at the gas tank, it had better be really soon or else we’d find ourselves stranded in the dark of night in the middle of Nevada.

********

Part 54, (Text, Audio) - Part 53, (Text, Audio) - Part 52, (Text, Audio)
Part 51, (Text, Audio) - Part 50, (Text, Audio) - Part 49, (Text, Audio)

Part 48, (Text, Audio) - Part 47, (Text, Audio) - Part 46, (Text, Audio)
Part 45, (Text, Audio) - Part 44, (Text, Audio) - Part 43, (Text, Audio)
Part 42, (Text, Audio) - Part 41, (Text, Audio) Part 40, (Text, Audio)
Part 39, (Text, Audio) - Part 38, (Text, Audio) - Part 37, (Text, Audio)
Part 36, (Text, Audio) - Part 35, (Text, Audio) - Part 34, (Text, Audio)
Part 33, (Text, Audio) - Part 32, (Text, Audio) - Part 31, (Text, Audio)
Part 30, (Text, Audio) - Part 29, (Text, Audio) - Part 28, (Text, Audio)
Part 27, (Text, Audio) - Part 26, (Text, Audio) - Part 25, (Text, Audio)
Part 24, (Text, Audio) - Part 23, (Text, Audio) - Part 22, (Text, Audio)
Part 21, (Text, Audio) - Part 20, (Text, Audio) - Part 19, (Text, Audio)
Part 18, (Text, Audio) - Part 17, (Text, Audio) - Part 16, (Text, Audio)
Part 15, (Text, Audio) - Part 14, (Text, Audio) - Part 13, (Text, Audio)
Part 12 (Text, Audio) - Part 11 (Text, Audio) - Part 10 (Text, Audio)
Part 09, (Text, Audio) - Part 08, (Text, Audio) - Part 07 (Text, Audio)
Part 06 (Text, Audio) - Part 05 (Text, Audio) - Part 04 (Text, Audio)
Part 03 (Text, Audio) - Part 02 (Text, Audio) - Part 01 (Text, Audio)


No comments: